Termite mounds are huge…some of them anyway. On this trip,
we’ve seen some mounds that are 30+ feet high and 10+ feet wide. Here are some
examples, but we saw the biggest one today but didn’t get a picture ‘cause we
were zooming past it at 200 miles per hour (of course Dad was speeding). [not true]
We learned a bit about how termites build these mounds .When
they think it is going to rain, they stop building the mounds. Some termites
have the job to forecast weather. So, if you see new dirt being added to the
top of a mound, it will not rain that day.
Also, each mound has its own chief (just like a village
chief we met today at Mognori – another blog post that I will do). When the chief
dies, the whole mound evacuates and must build a new mound for a new chief!
Termite mounds would freak me out, I used to be so afraid of ants when I was little. Tell your dad to slow down...Kent always speeds by when we want to see things too!
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool Rock! Those are strange looking mounds! I wonder how they build them.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome! I had no idea that termite mounds could get that big.
ReplyDeleteWhoa, that is huge. Kinda cool, but also kinda freaky to think of how many termites it took to make a mound that large. Gives me the willies. I dare ask, what other kind of bugs have you discovered? Tucker wants to know if you've seen any other dogs?
ReplyDelete